Thursday 6 October 2011

React personally to the story "The Killers".( Assignment)

I find the story interesting in many ways. Although chaos makes the story seems a bit confusing and I don't like chaos in real life, reading this kind of story somehow makes me feel relaxed--like enjoying a movie.

I like the way the two killers Max and Al talk. When George asks why Al is going to kill Ole Anderson, Al says "He never had a chance to do anything to us. He never even seen us. And he's only going to see us once." I am impressed by his confidence; maybe he is overconfident. Also, the story shows us the cruelty of the society at that time--people don't know how to express their emotions in a proper way. However,George seems so calm that nothing can bother him, which I think also reflects another side of extreme lack of emotion.

Besides these main characters, I also like Nick, who I think is a hero in this story. He does not even know Ole Anderson and Sam tells him to stay out of this business, but he stills goes to Ole and tells him the secret that Max and Al are going to kill him. In order to stay out of trouble, he decides to stay out of town. He is the only person in this story who seems to have normal human emotions, but it seems to me that Hemingway didn't put any judgement in it about different life attitudes of different people; he probably just wanted to reveal the fact that there are people with different attitudes living in the same society, and he might have wanted us to meditate on which causes this fact in that society at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment