Monday 10 October 2011

Personal reaction to "the Epic Of Gilgamesh".

This story is too difficult:( and I had trouble reading it; I wanted to read it again, but to be very honest, I couldn't focus on reading it at all. I think I only got a very general idea of the story, which is about life and death. I wish I could read the story more carefully as I like to discuss the topic very much.

About the structure of the story, it used many repetitions, similes and metaphors. I like the idea that there is always a limite of humankind. We can't have a everlasting life, which I think gives us more meaning to life. I sometimes think that there is plenty of time ahead me, so I can waste some time now although I don't want to. Imagine if you know life is everlasting, what would you do now? You probably won't treasure your life anymore. I think we are all trying our best to live only because we know that we are going to die some day in the future, and before that we have to make best use of our life.

I feel extremely painful when I think that I have to die though as I have been wasted a lot of time in my past few years. Of course I didn't want to waste any time of my life, but somehow I had to. My future is also full of uncertainty, which scares me whenever I think of it. I've always been hoping to be born again, but I also know it is impossible.

The story tells us that God give us life, and at the same time God give us an end of life, which is death, and no one can get rid of it. However, how we make use of our limited life is our own business. I like this idea as I think I become much less stressed about life recently as I truly realized that every one has to die. We are just human, and the best way to live is to learn to have what makes us happy, but not to waste our life by suffering all the time.

1 comment:

  1. I've finished reading all articles on your blog. I think there are some kinds of people who can't stop writing, and for them writing means living like Hemingway. Like a cat in the rain, you looked in your writing.

    ReplyDelete