Thursday 24 November 2011

personal response to TED talk "Memory and Experience"

I enjoyed the talk very much and I liked the idea of "remembering self" and "experiecing self". In my own experience, I think sometimes I can not have a good balance of those two selves. In other words, sometimes I don't feel happy in the present, but my remembering self will turn to be a happy one and keep the beautiful memory. When I am suffering, I think of those happy times and will have hope as I know I have had some happy memory.

I am especially impressed by the colonoscope experiment in the talk. For me, it is the same too. I sometimes have a very good time in the present and suddenly have an extremely bad moment right after; in that case, although I have had some pleasant time, I still think I had a terrible time because of the "pain" in the end.

Thinking and experiencing happiness is difficult and painful; however, if we follow the rythm of life, hopefully we will eventually become able to feel some happiness and joy in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment