Thursday 1 December 2011

"Romeo and Juliet" response

Although this text is a bit difficult for me, I still enjoyed reading it. Old-fashioned words and grammar make the play more beautiful. For example, Romeo says that "He jests at scars that never felt a wound." (Act2, Scene 2) In modern English, it is "people who haven't been hurt joke about injuries."

I like the part when Romeo tries to swear by moon, and then Juliet says that the moon changes every month and she does not want Romeo to swear. Instead, she says "Well, do not swear. Although I joy in thee, I have no joy of this contract tonight, It is too rash, toounadvised, too sudden, Too like lightening, which doth cease to be Ere one can say it lightens. Sweet, good night!" ( Line 117-121) Juliet is afraid that it is too rash; also, she does not want Romeo to think that she is too easy. I agree. I think love needs time. We can "fall in love at the first sight"; however, truly knowing someone takes time and as the time goes by, real love becomes deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment