Saturday 24 September 2011

React to the movie on a personal level. "Being There",

I enjoyed watching the movie a lot because the language and the misunderstandings are very interesting to me. I like the charactor Chance as he is very innocent and says whatever his mind says; he doesn't need to spend any time picking a suitable word. He even called the president "buddy". I also like the way he talks; he talks very slowly and calmly. No matter whom he talks with, he is always so calm, which made people think his words are very deep even though he is just talking about gardening languages. I don't like Eve very much because she seems a bit loose; she is so good at showing her feelings to Chance while she doesn't even know his real name and back ground. I think she likes people who have or had high positions and who are or were wealthy; she seems excited when she thinks Chance's name is Chancey Gardiner. Money and high positions don't mean anything to me. I think real love is based on how well we know each other and how real we are when we are together.

This movie is full of ironies. People haven't even discovered Chance's real name and his background when the movie reaches the end. It is a perfect movie which indicates the politics, the government, the publishing industry, the educational system, race relations, human sexuality, the American public in one short movie and meanwhile it contains a lot of humor.

3 comments:

  1. This is a good post, Xiaoyue. I quite agree with you about the humour in the movie! I'm also curious: does "indicates" mean "indicts" or "covers"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nathan. Can it mean both? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not at the same time. ;-) That said, both meanings fit the sentence and the context.

    ReplyDelete